The Vizianagaram Maharaja’s Hindu Girls’ School was founded by His Highness Sri Vijayaram Gajapathi Maharaja of Vizianagaram in a small rented house on North Mada Street, Mylapore. Classes were held only up to Standard II.
NBGES traces its roots to 1869 with the founding of Lady Sivaswami Ayyar Girls’ School. Over the decades, new institutions were added, and the society evolved into its current form.
From a rented room in Mylapore to a legacy 150+ years strong
The Vizianagaram Maharaja’s Hindu Girls’ School was founded by His Highness Sri Vijayaram Gajapathi Maharaja of Vizianagaram in a small rented house on North Mada Street, Mylapore. Classes were held only up to Standard II.
After the school was renamed 'The Mylapore Girls' School', the committee acquired a new site. Plans were set in motion to move to its own building.
The school moved to its permanent building. It was renamed “The Vizianagaram Rani’s School”.
After the Committee handed over the school to the Theosophical Education Trust) then known as the National University of Adyar), Dr.Annie Besant, known for the Home Rule Movement, took the School under her wings. The same year Dr. Sarojini Naidu, The Nightingale of India, christened the School as ‘The National Girls’ School’. Under Dr.Besant, the School took a leap forward and expanded in many directions.
Land adjacent to the school was acquired to support growth and expansion of facilities.
1920: Recognized as Elementary School (Classes I-V)
1922: Recognized as Lower Secondary School
1924-25: Became a full-fledged High School
1926: First SSLC batch presented for exams
Note: Picture used here is from 2023 and has been changed to B/W to depict event thematically for this timeline.
A new committee was formed under the presidency of Sir P. S. Sivaswami Ayyar. The school received a renewed vision and direction.
The society was registered as “The National Girls’ Education Society” under the Societies Registration Act XXI of 1860 on 24th November 1930.
Sir P. S. Sivaswami Ayyar sold his own residence 'Sudharma' to fund the school and lived in a modest rented house thereafter. After his passing away, in recognition of this noble gesture, the school was renamed as “Lady Sivaswami Ayyar Girls’ High School”, a name that would eminently perpetuate the names of Sir Sivaswami Ayyar and that of his beloved wife Smt. Kalyani Sivaswami Ayyar.
The retired headmaster of Hindu Theological High School Sri K. Rangaswami Aiyangar joined the management, introducing methods that balanced academics with co-curricular and extra-curricular activities, while fostering a culture of self-discipline.
The school launched a free mid-day meal program, ensuring students had access to healthy food.
Note: Picture used here is from 2026 and has been changed to B/W to depict event thematically for this timeline.
A free medical aid initiative was introduced, providing healthcare support to students in need.
Dr. S. Radhakrishnan, President of India, laid the foundation stone for the Sir P. S. Sivaswami Ayyar Birth Centenary Memorial Building.
To mark the occasion of the birth centenary of Sir P.S.Sivaswami Ayyar, sheds of the primary section were replaced with a new building named “Sudharma.”
A commemorative pillar 'Jayasthambham' was installed and inaugurated by Sri P. Raju, great-great-grandson of the founder, celebrating 100 years of the school.
The Teachers’ Union, in honour of retiring Headmistress Smt. S. Chellam, founded Chellammal Bala Vidyalaya and handed its management to the Chellammal Education Society. She continued to serve as Secretary.
Lady Sivaswami Ayyar Girls’ School was upgraded to a Higher Secondary School.
On 7 February 1989, celebrating the 125 year of Sir Sivaswami Ayyar's birth in a fitting manner, the Society decided to set another milestone in his memory by starting a new school - Sir Sivaswami Kalalaya Senior Secondary School, at “Sudharma”, the building constructed to commemorate his birth centenary. The CBSE School was established on June 22,1989 in the building ‘Sudharma’. Since the new school is a co-education one, the society was renamed ‘The National Boys’ & Girls’ Education Society.
On 17th July, Sir Sivaswami Kalalaya Matriculation Higher Secondary School opened at West Circular Road, Mandaveli for classes 11 & 12 and was located there till it was shifted to its current location at East Mada Street.
A performance venue with a 300-seat capacity, attached to Sir Sivaswami Kalalaya Senior Secondary School, R. K. Swamy Auditorium, was formally inaugurated on December 11, 2003, by then Governor of Tamilnadu, His Excellency Sri P. S. Ramamohan Rao The auditorium is dedicated in memory of Sri R. K. Swamy, President, NBGES, 1987-2003 and father of current president Sri Srinivasan K. Swamy
To support expansion of lower classes, the Matriculation school was shifted near Lady Sivaswami School.
The previous SSK Matric campus at Mandaveli was transformed into the Radha Swamy Centre of Excellence on December 5, 2022, and was inaugurated by Governor R. N. Ravi. The facility utilises its multiple floors for various activities, including Indic games, table tennis, an auditorium, and special training classes.
On March 9, NBGES management committee along with staff and well-wishers of the three schools participated in a grand march from the previous matric school premises to its current location This was the first event in a series of programmes organised throughout the school’s 25th year. A new silver jubilee logo was created and a souvenir magazine was released. In the month of July, we celebrated 25 years of Sir Sivaswami Kalalaya Matriculation Higher Secondary School.
The Vizianagaram Maharaja’s Hindu Girls’ School was founded by His Highness Sri Vijayaram Gajapathi Maharaja of Vizianagaram in a small rented house on North Mada Street, Mylapore. Classes were held only up to Standard II.
After the school was renamed 'The Mylapore Girls' School', the committee acquired a new site. Plans were set in motion to move to its own building.
The school moved to its permanent building. It was renamed “The Vizianagaram Rani’s School”.
After the Committee handed over the school to the Theosophical Education Trust) then known as the National University of Adyar), Dr.Annie Besant, known for the Home Rule Movement, took the School under her wings. The same year Dr. Sarojini Naidu, The Nightingale of India, christened the School as ‘The National Girls’ School’. Under Dr.Besant, the School took a leap forward and expanded in many directions.
Land adjacent to the school was acquired to support growth and expansion of facilities.
1920: Recognized as Elementary School (Classes I-V)
1922: Recognized as Lower Secondary School
1924-25: Became a full-fledged High School
1926: First SSLC batch presented for exams
Note: Picture used here is from 2023 and has been changed to B/W to depict event thematically for this timeline.
A new committee was formed under the presidency of Sir P. S. Sivaswami Ayyar. The school received a renewed vision and direction.
The society was registered as “The National Girls’ Education Society” under the Societies Registration Act XXI of 1860 on 24th November 1930.
Sir P. S. Sivaswami Ayyar sold his own residence 'Sudharma' to fund the school and lived in a modest rented house thereafter. After his passing away, in recognition of this noble gesture, the school was renamed as “Lady Sivaswami Ayyar Girls’ High School”, a name that would eminently perpetuate the names of Sir Sivaswami Ayyar and that of his beloved wife Smt. Kalyani Sivaswami Ayyar.
The retired headmaster of Hindu Theological High School Sri K. Rangaswami Aiyangar joined the management, introducing methods that balanced academics with co-curricular and extra-curricular activities, while fostering a culture of self-discipline.
The school launched a free mid-day meal program, ensuring students had access to healthy food.
Note: Picture used here is from 2026 and has been changed to B/W to depict event thematically for this timeline.
A free medical aid initiative was introduced, providing healthcare support to students in need.
Dr. S. Radhakrishnan, President of India, laid the foundation stone for the Sir P. S. Sivaswami Ayyar Birth Centenary Memorial Building.
To mark the occasion of the birth centenary of Sir P.S.Sivaswami Ayyar, sheds of the primary section were replaced with a new building named “Sudharma.”
A commemorative pillar 'Jayasthambham' was installed and inaugurated by Sri P. Raju, great-great-grandson of the founder, celebrating 100 years of the school.
The Teachers’ Union, in honour of retiring Headmistress Smt. S. Chellam, founded Chellammal Bala Vidyalaya and handed its management to the Chellammal Education Society. She continued to serve as Secretary.
Lady Sivaswami Ayyar Girls’ School was upgraded to a Higher Secondary School.
On 7 February 1989, celebrating the 125 year of Sir Sivaswami Ayyar's birth in a fitting manner, the Society decided to set another milestone in his memory by starting a new school - Sir Sivaswami Kalalaya Senior Secondary School, at “Sudharma”, the building constructed to commemorate his birth centenary. The CBSE School was established on June 22,1989 in the building ‘Sudharma’. Since the new school is a co-education one, the society was renamed ‘The National Boys’ & Girls’ Education Society.
On 17th July, Sir Sivaswami Kalalaya Matriculation Higher Secondary School opened at West Circular Road, Mandaveli for classes 11 & 12 and was located there till it was shifted to it's current location at East Mada Street.
A performance venue with a 300-seat capacity, attached to Sir Sivaswami Kalalaya Senior Secondary School, R. K. Swamy Auditorium, was formally inaugurated on December 11, 2003, by then Governor of Tamilnadu, His Excellency Sri P. S. Ramamohan Rao The auditorium is dedicated in memory of Sri R. K. Swamy, President, NBGES, 1987-2003 and father of current president Sri Srinivasan K. Swamy
To support expansion of lower classes, the Matriculation school was shifted near Lady Sivaswami School.
The previous SSK Matric campus at Mandaveli was transformed into the Radha Swamy Centre of Excellence on December 5, 2022, and was inaugurated by Governor R. N. Ravi. The facility utilises its multiple floors for various activities, including Indic games, table tennis, an auditorium, and special training classes.
On March 9, NBGES management committee along with staff and well-wishers of the three schools participated in a grand march from the previous matric school premises to its current location This was the first event in a series of programmes organised throughout the school’s 25th year. A new silver jubilee logo was created and a souvenir magazine was released. In the month of July, we celebrated 25 years of Sir Sivaswami Kalalaya Matriculation Higher Secondary School.